Although they are the norm now, wireless sports bras (and wireless bras in general) are actually a relatively new innovation. When it comes to bras that offer the most support, underwire bras are typically the ideal option.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the importance of having sports bras with underwires if you require added support when working out, what the pros and cons are of wireless sports bras, and even the history of these garments and how the technology behind them has developed over the years.
We understand how important it is to find that perfectly-fitting sports bra that helps you feel comfortable and confident while working out, which is why we took the time to put together this helpful guide.
Quick History of Sports Bras
The history of sports bras can be traced back to the early 20th century, but it wasn’t until the 1970s that they began to be widely used.
One of the earliest sports bras was invented by Lisa Lindahl and theater costume designer Polly Smith in 1977. Lindahl had experienced discomfort while running and couldn’t find a bra that provided the support she needed. She and Smith created a prototype by cutting the cups out of a jockstrap and sewing them into a bra. This prototype, known as the “jockbra,” was later renamed the “Jogbra” and became the first commercially available sports bra.
In the 1980s and 1990s, sports bras became more popular as more women began participating in sports and other forms of physical activity. Companies like Champion and Nike introduced new styles and designs, including bras with compression and encapsulation features that provided more support for different cup sizes.
Today, sports bras are an essential piece of athletic wear for many women and are available in a variety of styles and materials to meet the needs of different activities and body types. They have become an important part of the activewear market and are no longer considered a niche product.
However, this explosion in usage and popularity has transformed the sports bra completely, as many brands offer more of an “athleisure” kind of sports bra that, while comfortable, doesn’t exactly offer the best support in some instances and for all body types. This differs from brand to brand, of course, but today many women would consider common sports bras to be more of a “lounge around the house” kind of garment rather than something that will actually keep their breasts comfortably in place during an intense workout.
There are sports bras without underwires that do the job, and do it well (we have a few here in our Anita Active collection!) but the more athleisure style of bras that have become so popular has made searching for a reliable sports bra with great support somewhat confusing.
As women have become more involved in sports and are actively chasing their fitness goals, the need for comfortable sports bras that offer us support is more important than ever before. The key is finding a sports bra that is not only comfortable, but supportive as well.
Benefits of Underwire Sports Bras
Underwire sports bras are a type of sports bra that have a wire or plastic strip sewn into the bra’s cups to provide additional support and shaping to the breasts. These types of sports bras are often preferred by women with larger cup sizes, as they can provide the necessary support and comfort during physical activity.
One of the main benefits of underwire sports bras is that they offer the most support. The wire helps to lift and shape the breasts, reducing the amount of movement and bounce during exercise. This can help to prevent discomfort and pain, as well as potential damage to the ligaments in the breasts.
In addition to the support provided by the underwire, sports bras with this feature can also offer a more streamlined and flattering silhouette. The wire helps to create a smooth and defined shape, which can be especially important for women who may feel self-conscious about their breasts during physical activity.
Another benefit of underwire sports bras is that they can be extra durable. The wire provides additional structure to the bra, which can help it maintain its shape and support over time.
These kinds of sports bras are a good choice for women with larger cup sizes who are looking for additional support and shaping during physical activity. They can provide greater comfort and confidence for women who need the extra support.
The assumption is that underwired sports bras aren’t as comfy as their wireless counterparts, but again it really comes down to the brand. Here at Anita, we have developed an underwire sports bra that actually combines comfort and functionality.
Shopping For Sports Bras? How to Pick One That Works For You
Do you need an underwire in a sports bra? It really comes down to individual need and comfort, however if you require extra support or are engaged in high-impact sports, an underwire sports bra or a wireless sports bra that is specifically made for high impact activities is the way to go.
Either way, picking out the best sports bra can be just as complicated as finding a regular bra, as there are many different styles, materials, and features to consider. However, taking the time to find the right sports bra can make a big difference in your comfort and performance during physical activity. Here are some tips for how to pick out the best sports bra:
- Determine your size: It is important to start by finding a sports bra that fits well and provides the right amount of support. To do this, you will need to determine your size. This can be done by measuring your bust and underbust, and then using a size chart to find the corresponding size. Keep in mind that sizes can vary between brands, so it is a good idea to try on a few different sizes to find the best fit.
- Consider the level of support you need: Different sports bras offer different levels of support. For example, bras with only compression features are best for low-impact activities, while bras with encapsulation features are better for high-impact activities. Consider the type of physical activity you will be doing and choose a sports bra that provides the appropriate level of support.
- Look for features that suit your needs: Some sports bras have additional features, such as adjustable straps and moisture-wicking materials, that may be beneficial depending on your needs. Consider these features and choose a sports bra that has the ones that will be most useful for you.
- Try on a few different styles: There are many different styles of sports bras available, from traditional pull-over bras to bras with hook-and-eye closures. It is a good idea to try on a few different styles to find the one that is most comfortable and provides the best fit.
- Don’t forget about comfort: In addition to finding a sports bra that fits well and provides the right level of support, it is also important to choose a bra that is comfortable. Look for bras made from breathable materials and avoid bras that have rough edges or uncomfortable straps.
This is a great starting point that should help you pinpoint a bra that gives you the support you need while working out.
However, we feel our Anita Active collection captures all of these features for women that are looking for sports bras that offer great support, style, and comfort all in one. Whether you’re looking for an underwire sports bra like our MOMENTUM, or one of our many high-quality wireless sports bras, you’re in the right place!